Work:
Since I finished my survey for International Students early, for my last two weeks I worked on two different projects. Michael, the University Librarian, asked me to travel around to all of the Faculty (department) libraries in the University of Copenhagen / Royal Library consortium, assess the study environment, and compare it to that of American universities. This was particularly lovely for me because I got to bike all over the city, sit in pretty libraries, and read novels. It was not so great for the authenticity Michael's results because he sent me in the middle of July which is a) during summer break for students, and b) during the vacation month for all of Denmark, so the libraries were pretty much empty, lacking both patrons and staff, and thus exceptionally quiet.
Christian, on the other hand, had me start writing the guide to the library (which was, essentially, an exercise in harassment: I was sending 20 emails creating a comprehensive list of subject specialists, asking for descriptions of collections, begging people to translate information only in Danish, and explain how the printer/copier never actually works).

Inside the Black Diamond, view from the top floor.
Play:
Thursday:
We take advantage of Copenhagen's wonderfully liberal liquor laws and have a shwastastic evening in our apartment with three DJs and Sir Christopher Mackey as bartender. (And, I must say, he did an excellent job--his interpretation of the Green Monster was delicious).Friday:
I take the day off, and after I return all of my keys and IDs to the library, I do my own Copenhagen in a Nutshell tour: The Little Mermaid, Kastellet (the fortress), Amalienborg (the Queen's winter palace), Christiania, Frederiksberg Have (a park), and Tivoli (the amusement park). We pack, clean out the apartment, and have a farewell dinner at Wagamama outside of Tivoli, and while we're eating, see another Yalie walking by (twice!) outside. SMALL WORLD.

The Little Mermaid

Carousel at Tivoli

My bike, Richard Gear (rusty but reliable, like the human Richard Gere) at Frederiksberg Have
Barn at ChristianiaDeparture day! I drag my 65 pounds of luggage to the airport (which is, fortunately, less difficult than it would be in other cities. Because of Copenhagen's biking culture, nearly all of the curbs have slopes, so it's super easy to roll your bags around the city. Additionally, the metro ingeniously goes straight to the airport. LaGuardia, please take note). Upon arrival, I discover that the passport scanning system at the airport is down, preventing everyone flying to the states from checking in. However, after 30 minutes and some carefully worded calls to the US immigration office, all is resolved. Change planes at Newark, arrive in Cincinnati 13 hours later, eat sushi, crash.
And now, as promised, my favorite things listed in no particular order:
1) Frederiksberg Have and Søndermarken: A park with a castle, a lake, a zoo, and trees reminiscent of King Arthur and childhood.
2) Reinh van Hauen: Now I know everyone says that Lagkagehuset is the best bakery in the city (and yes, it's excellent), but I love RvH. Their frugtsnitte (the raspberry version) is some the best cake I've ever had.
3) Christiania: Typical, I know. But it's an amazing community with unconventional architecture, progressive social system, and really great food.
4) The Frederiksberg Cemetery: Morbid, yes, but beautiful. Weeping willows and tree-lined lanes, lit lanterns and flower beds. Benches for sitting, faucets for watering, stillness for contemplation.
5) Sunlight: It's nearly six a.m. here in Ohio (the jet lag is still throwing me off a little), and the sky is as dark as it ever was. Although, at the time, I had mixed feelings about being blinded by streaming rays of sunlight at four in the morning, I must admit: I miss it.
So this will be the last post until I go on another adventure (which will hopefully be sooner rather than later). Thanks everyone for reading!


No comments:
Post a Comment